Thursday, February 2, 2012

Vegan Coconut & Almond Bars



I love coconut. I made a coconut cake recently that I will share anon but first these coconut and almond bars - they are lovely and sweet and chewy and full of good things. I overbaked mine so they turned out a little too golden-brown, so I have reduced the cooking time here. They were still delicious though!

INGREDIENTS:

75g ground almonds
75g porridge oats
50g muesli
150g dessicated coconut
75g brown sugar
half teaspoon salt
185ml soya milk
1 teaspoon almond essence

METHOD

  • Preheat oven to 180C
  • Grease a baking tray
  • Combine the almonds, oats, coconut, muesli, salt and sugar in a large bowl
  • Combine the soya milk and almond essence and add to the dry ingredients
  • Mix thoroughly, and firmly press (with your hands) onto a greased baking tray
  • Cook at 180C for 25 mins, then raise temp to 230C for another 5 mins, or until golden-brown
  • Mark into 20 squares while still warm (I used a fish-slice)
  • Cool and eat!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Nuala, I just LOVE coconut too (I use gallons of coconut oil too, one of my minor obsessions etc etc!!) Is the almond essence necessary, or could you do without? I'm hoping o make these tomorrow... yum yum yum

Group 8 said...

Hi Ems, no the almond essence is not necessary. It can be a bit overwhelming as a flavour and did dominate these a little. G'luck! Post the results? N x