Saturday, May 12, 2012

CANNELLINI BEAN BURGERS

Cannellini Bean Burgers
Two of the kids have their party today, so there will be a few adults present too, including my sister. We always seem to serve the same food when she is here so today I decided to try something from Liz Nolan's beautiful book My Goodness. I've adapted her mung bean burger recipe, which she in turn adapted from one by Madhur Jaffrey.

The mixture
My mixture was loose (I gather it's meant to be) but I found that made it hard for turning the frying burgers so I added two small handfuls of wholegrain spelt flour to thicken the mix.

Makes 12 burgers

RECIPE

254g tin of cannellini beans, drained
2 cloves garlic
1 onion, chopped small
2 tsp mixed herbs (use 1 tsp if you don't want a very herby taste)
1 crushed Oxo veg stock cube
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium carrot, grated
1 medium courgette, grated
2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 small handfuls wholegrain spelt flour
rapeseed oil for frying

METHOD

Using a hand blender, blend the cannellini beans, garlic, onion, herbs, stock cube, salt and olive oil until smooth
Grate the carrot and courgette into a large bowl
Add the sesame seeds and cannellini bean mixture and mix well
Heat oil in frying pan, when hot, use a tablespoon to drop a blob of the mixture, pat it down with the spoon
Cook on medium heat for 4 mins then carefully turn it over and cook the other side for a further 4 minutes
The burgers should look golden brown.
Serve on a wholemeal bun with salad and hummus. Yum! I just hope my sister approves :)

The burgers frying

2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

sounds delicious, I'm sure your sister will approve.

Group 8 said...

She ate them, anyway, Crafty, so that's a good sign :)