Monday, March 16, 2015

SPELT BROWN BREAD

Juno mixing the dry ingredients
I was dying for some seeded brown bread yesterday but as it was Mother's Day I was too busy lolling about eating chocolates. So, today I got around to it. I adapted a recipe from the Natural Fuel blog. I swapped in a beaten egg for some water, for the nutritional value. I also used more seeds as I wanted a fairly crunchy bread.


I toasted fresh slices to have with soup. Ended up having one with jam - yum!
INGREDIENTS


  • 320g wholegrain spelt flour
  • 80g porridge oats
  • 35g mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin and sesame)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 300 ml tepid water
  • 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
METHOD


  • Preheat the oven to 200C
  • Grease a 2lb loaf tin with veg oil (use a piece of kitchen roll)
  • Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Sieve the baking powder and mix through
  • Mix in the water, then the egg, until the dough is evenly wet - it's a fairly heavy dough
  • Plop the mixture into the loaf tin, smooth down with a wooden spoon and cut a deep line down the centre
  • Sprinkle with sesame seeds
  • Bake for 1 hour or so (until the bottom sounds hollow when knocked)
  • Cool before slicing

1 comment:

Group 8 said...

Thanks Rajesh, I will check out your recipe with interest. I just love spelt flour! Warmest, Nuala