Sunday, April 26, 2015

LO-CAL BROWNIES

Cooked brownie 'slab' cooling in the garden
I saw a recipe on Facebook for 37 calorie brownies. Sceptical? So was I. I have adapted the recipe (I don’t have Stevia, a sugar substitute, which is what the original called for) so I used brown sugar. I managed to get apple sauce in Tesco. Also I left the American measurements - having messed with them before with poor results, I thought I'd better not meddle.

Anyway, my brownies work out at 120 calories per brownie, and only have 2g of fat – not exactly 37 kcals but still not bad! And they are moist and tasty!

INGREDIENTS

half cup porridge oats
1 medium free range egg
3/4 cup no-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup low fat milk
1/2 cup Bournville cocoa powder
1/2 cup light brown sugar (or a sugar substitute)
1/3 cup apple sauce
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt

METHOD


  • Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF
  • Grease a square 8” x 8” pan
  • Combine all the ingredients in a food mixer (I used a hand blender) for one minute
  • Bake for 22 minutes or so
  • Cool in the pan
  • Cut into 9 squares

No comments: